Lebanese MP Amin Wehbi says that a large number of Shi’ites have moved forward with their Hajj pilgrimage for this year, despite Hezbollah’s ban.
The Iranian backed Hezbollah group has banned members from performing the Muslim Hajjpilgrimage in Saudi Arabia this year, a source close to the movement said earlier this week.
“Hezbollah has recently issued an internal decree to ban its leaders and members from going to the holy sites in Saudi Arabia for Hajj this year,” the source, who preferred to remain unnamed because he was unauthorized to speak to media, told Anadolu Agency on Wednesday.
He said the ban was in line with a decision by Iran to bar its citizens from performing Hajj this year due to differences with Saudi Arabia.
According to the source, Hezbollah has threatened to expel members, who disobey the ban.
Speaking to Asharq Al-Awsat on Saturday , MP Wehbi said that Hezbollah’s decision is defined as an official politicization of religion, under Iranian request.
The Lebanese politician explained that all Iranian efforts are poured into politicizing the religious event, so it is made available for exploitation and employment into the regime’s totalitarian agenda for the region.
The Shi’ite politician said Hezbollah’s move will cost it support within the Lebanese Shi’ite community
Error: No connected account.
Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to connect an account.