Interior Minister Marwan Charbel told MTV on Sunday that the Internal security forces have in their possession the names of those those who took part in Friday’s clashes in the northern city of Tripoli.
“Security forces have the names of everyone who took part in the clashes…their houses will be raided and their weapons will be confiscated,” Charbel said .
He als denied the possibility of making Tripoli “an arms-free city.”
Asked about Change and Reform bloc leader MP Michel Aoun’s calls to sack Internal Security Forces (ISF) General Director Ashraf Rifi, Charbel said, “In politics everything is acceptable, but in security, let them leave these matters to us.”
Aoun labeled the ISF Information Branch as a “militia” and accused the bureau of illegally occupying a Telecommunications Ministry building in Adliyeh last month.
Aoun has been attacking ISF ever since FPM official, retired Col. Fayez Karam was arrested last August over spying for Israel.
Armed clashes erupted in Tripoli on Friday following a rally in support of Syrian protesters. The military official of the Hezbollah and Syrian backed Arab Democratic Party, Ali Fares was killed and 6 others including one army soldier and a seven year old child. At least 59 others were reportedly injured and some are in serious condition .
Many analysts question why the Alawite party should have a military official .
Jabal Mohsen ( home of the Arab Democratic Party) and Bab al-Tabbaneh areas have been in recent years the scene of intense clashes between Sunni supporters of Lebanon’s former PM Saad Hariri and Alawites who are loyal to the Hezbollah-led coalition backed by Iran and Syria.