Share:
A relative of someone who was killed in last year’s massive blast at Beirut’s seaport bleeds during clashes with riot police as he and others try to storm the home of caretaker Interior Minister Mohamed Fehmi in Beirut, Lebanon, Tuesday, July 13, 2021. Family members are angry with Fehmi because he rejected a request by the judge investigating the explosion to question Maj. Gen. Abbas Ibrahim, who is one of Lebanon’s most prominent generals and heads the General Security Directorate. (AP Photo/Bilal Hussein)

The Internal Security Forces (ISF) fired tear gas on Tuesday during scuffles with demonstrators outside the home of caretaker Interior Minister Mohammed Fahmi, accused of stalling a probe into last summer’s huge port explosion.

The protests, called for by relatives of the victims of the August 4 blast, swelled by the evening, with dozens of demonstrators streaming in to join families storming Fahmi’s heavily guarded home in Beirut’s Qureitem area.

The angry crowd, demanding accountability as the anniversary approaches of Lebanon’s worst peace-time disaster, were pushed back by riot police who swung batons and fired tear gas to disperse them.

AFP correspondents saw a man with a bleeding wound on his head after he was beaten by security forces, and paramedics treating protesters for tear gas suffocation. 

The detonation of a huge stockpile of fertilizer at the port last summer killed more than 200 people and wrecked huge swathes of the capital.

An investigation launched in the wake of the tragedy has yet to hold any officials to account.

Victims’ families say political interference has derailed the process.

Earlier this month, Fahmi rejected a request by the judge investigating the blast to question Abbas Ibrahim, head of the General Security bureau, one of the country’s top security agencies. 

“By refusing to lift Abbas Ibrahim’s legal immunity, the interior minister is standing between us, the relatives of blast victims, and justice,” said Paul Najjar, who lost his three-year-old daughter Alexandra to the explosion. 

Fahmi “is killing us a second time,” he told AFP outside the minister’s home. 

During Tuesday’s angry protest, relatives tore off the gates at the entrance to Fahmi’s apartment building after displaying portraits of the deceased in a makeshift shrine and piling up white coffins nearby.

“These are the coffins of our children,” Najjar said. 

The stand-off, which started in the afternoon, escalated with the arrival of dozens of angry demonstrators after sunset.

Protestors chanted: “the people demand the overthrow of the regime!”

Last month, rights groups including Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch called for a U.N. investigation into the explosion, in light of Lebanon’s stalled probe.

Lead judge Tarek Bitar is demanding that parliament lift the immunity of three former ministers so he can proceed with investigations but lawmakers have requested more evidence before deciding on whether to waive immunity. 

Bitar this week rejected parliament’s request, a judicial source told AFP.

In February, Bitar’s predecessor as lead judge in the probe was removed by a court, which had questioned his impartiality because his home had been damaged in the explosion.

Judge Fadi Sawwan had issued charges against caretaker premier Hassan Diab and three former ministers in December for “negligence and causing death to hundreds,” triggering outrage from politicians.

Diab resigned in the wake of the explosion but has stayed on as caretaker prime minister as the country’s bitterly divided political leaders wrangle over a replacement for his government. 

An interview with a Lebanese woman who lost her son Abdo during the port explosion

AFP/France 24

Share:
This error message is only visible to WordPress admins

Error: No connected account.

Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to connect an account.