Share:

One of four men accused of killing a former Lebanese prime minister in Beirut in 2005 has been convicted by a special UN-backed court.

File Photo: Former Lebanese PM Rafik Hariri , father of PM Saad Hariri was assassinated in downtown Beirut on February 14, 2005. 5 Hezbollah operatives have been accused of killing Hariri and have being tried in absentia by the UN backed Special Tribunal for Lebanon

Salim Ayyash and the others, all from the Shia militant group Hezbollah, had been on trial in absentia since 2014.

The killing of Rafik Hariri, one of Lebanon’s most prominent Sunni Muslim politicians, caused outrage across the country.

Salim Jamil Ayyash, a member of Hezbollah, was convicted for the assassination of former Lebanese Prime Minister Rafic Hariri and 21 others and attempting murder 226 others . (STL)

The verdict comes at a time of deep political crisis in Lebanon.

Hariri’s son Saad, who is himself a former prime minister, said he accepted the verdict, but that he had expected more information to emerge from the trial.

“I think everybody’s expectation was much higher than what came out, but I believe that the tribunal came out with a result that is satisfying,” he told reporters.

What else happened at the trial?

Ayyash was found guilty of conspiracy to commit a terrorist act, murdering Hariri, murdering 21 others and attempting to murder 226 more in the suicide car bombing on 14 February.

In this Feb. 14, 2005, file photo, vehicles burn following a massive bomb attack that tore through the motorcade of former Prime Minister Rafik Hariri in Beirut, Lebanon. The explosion killed Hariri 15 years ago sent a tremor across the region and unleashed a uprising that briefly united the Lebanese and ejected Syrian troops from the country.

The judges said evidence showed Ayyash had possessed one of six mobile phones used by the team which assassinated Hariri.

The billionaire businessman and politician’s killing was a watershed moment for Lebanon and gave rise to rival alliances that shaped Lebanese politics for years afterwards.

Alongside Ayyash, the three other defendants – Hussein Hassan Oneissi, Assad Hassan Sabra and Hassan Habib Merhi – were acquitted by the Special Tribunal for Lebanon (STL), based on the outskirts of The Hague in The Netherlands.

A fifth man – Mustafa Badreddine, the commander of Hezbollah’s military wing – was dropped from the indictment after he was killed in Syria in 2016. Prosecutors had described him as “overall controller of the operation” to assassinate Hariri.

The presiding judge, David Re, also said there was no direct evidence implicating Hezbollah’s leadership or one of its patron’s, Syria, in the attack.

Hezbollah had consistently denied any involvement and none of the men – whose whereabouts are unknown – have come forward.

The long-awaited verdict comes at a particularly precarious time for Lebanon.

It was delayed by the devastating blast at Beirut port two weeks ago, which led to the resignation of the government, already embattled by months of protest over the collapsing currency and high unemployment. 

The country’s economic crisis was made all the more worse by the impact of the coronavirus pandemic.

BBC

Share:
This error message is only visible to WordPress admins

Error: No connected account.

Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to connect an account.