President Donald Trump has been ridiculed after he appeared to be using today’s incident at the Louvre in Paris as a justification for his travel ban – despite the fact that it would not have prevented the attack by a machete-wielding man.
A few hours after the attack Trump tweeted: ‘A new radical Islamic terrorist has just attacked in Louvre Museum in Paris. Tourists were locked down. France on edge again. GET SMART U.S.’
It has emerged the assailant was Egyptian and may have arrived from Dubai last month.
Neither Egypt or the United Arab Emirates are on the list of seven countries whose citizens President Trump has banned from entering the US.
American keyboard player Benmont Tench tweeted: ‘Thank god the terrorist attacker at the Louvre was stopped. An Egyptian national, entered France from Dubai. Neither country banned by Trump.’
R A Baker added: ‘I don’t usually comment on “unfolding events” where the full facts aren’t available, but if the Louvre attacker is Egyptian…oops Trump!’
Jason, from Wales, tweeted: ‘Hey with the louvre attacker being Egyptian, when is the ban on Egyptians coming in? It’s America first not Trump first right?’
John Yazek added: ‘The attacker was Egyptian. Does that mean Trump needs to add Egypt to the ban? Probably not – Trump makes $ there.’
French psychologist tweeted: ‘Trump quickly condemns Louvre attack, still quiet on Quebec and he’s Egyptian, so can be cleared into Trumpistan!’
Star Trek actor George Takei tweeted: ‘Trump was quick to condemn the Louvre attack. But he stayed pretty quiet over the mosque shooting in Montreal. That speaks volumes.’
Another Twitter user, Chris Martin, tweeted: ‘Trump logic: Louvre attack- “told you we should ban Muslims.” Quebec shooting – “We need more guns for the mentally ill”.’
Today’s Louvre attacker was shot and critically wounded by four soldiers and is under armed guard in a Paris hospital.
The chief of police in Paris said the suspect was shouting ‘Allahu Akbar’ – Arabic for ‘God is the greatest’ – but, apart from the machete, he was reportedly armed with nothing more than paint bombs.
The man has not been identified officially but is known to be Egyptian.
An unconfirmed report by French TV network LCI named the suspect as 29-year-old Abdallah EH, who arrived in France on a flight from Dubai on January 26.
His father, Reda al Refaai, told Reuters his son had been in France for work.
All he wanted, he said, was to discover the truth.
“Is he dead? Was it really him?” he said. “But for them to say in the end he is a terrorist is nonsense. He was wearing jeans, trainers and a shirt reading ‘Italy’. He’s never even worn a Jalabiya (traditional loose garment).
“This incident doesn’t make any sense… They said he hurt a soldier and then another soldier fired at him… Why haven’t we seen this soldier’s injury?
“This is a cover up so they don’t have to apologise or justify the acts of this soldier who used brutal force with a poor, 29-year-old young man.”
He told a Dubai-based news channel, al Hadath, his son was “a very normal young man” and was married with a seven-month-old child.
He said Hamamy had sent a picture of himself with the Eiffel tower in the background shortly before the incident at the Louvre took place.
Error: No connected account.
Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to connect an account.