The Foreign Ministry Sunday said that its mission in Bahrain has backed an Arab-Indian statement that tackles the Saudi-Iranian tensions in the region.
A statement by the ministry said that its mission backed two points in the joint testimonial which “condemned the attacks on the Saudi diplomatic missions in Iran and called for the non-interference of Tehran in the affairs of Arab nations.”
It added, however, that the Lebanese mission did not express its views on points in the statement regarding Syria, terrorism or the internal politics of Arab countries.
The statement underlined that the Arab-Indian account did agree on points regarding Lebanon’s role in the region and the Syrian refugee crisis it is facing, along with other essential subjects brought forth by Lebanon.
Tensions between Iran and Saudi Arabia have been extremely high since earlier this month when angry Iranian protesters stormed the Saudi embassy in Tehran and a Saudi consulate in the city of Mashhad, setting fire to them.
As a result, Saudi Arabia completely cut off its ties with Iran.
The attacks against SaudiArabia’s diplomatic missions was in retaliation to execution of Sheikh Nimr al-Nimr, leader of Saudi Arabia’s minority Shiite community, who was sentenced to death on charges of “terror and incitement.”
An emergency Arab League summit of Arab foreign ministers was held in the aftermaths of the events, where a statement condemning Iran and classifying Hezbollah as a terrorist organization was opposed by Foreign Minister Gebran Bassil.
After coming under fire from March 14 politicians, Bassil defended his stance by explaining that endorsing the statement would mean harming Lebanon’s unity and stability, as it would be condemning a Lebanese party.
Hezbollah is an ally of the Free Patriotic Movement, which is now headed by Bassil.