Share:

suleiman bids farwellFormer Lebanese President Michel Suleiman said  that the failed settlement over the security appointments would have “violated the rights of Christians ” and for this reason he is satisfied  with its failure , al-Mustaqbal  daily reported on Sunday.

“I am satisfied  with its failure and therefore  “My conscience is clear.” He was quoted assaying

Suleiman’s Consultative Gathering   and  the Phalange  Party were blamed for r the failure of the proposal.

“The soldier sacrifices himself for the military institution and we have showed our loyalty to the army through our rejection of the proposal,” said Suleiman, who is the  former army commander.

Furthermore, he remarked that the privileges of the president would have also been harmed had the proposal been adopted.

“The security promotions are the responsibility of the head of state, who signs the decrees and refers them to the concerned minister,” he said.

“The failed plan suggested that this responsibility be handed to the cabinet” that would politicize the issue, Suleiman added.

“We therefore protected the military against political meddling and averted political interests from interfering in security promotions,” he continued.

“This is a major achievement,” stressed the former president.

The thorny issue of military appointments and promotions is one of the main points of contention paralyzing the cabinet’s work.

Sources close to Free Patriotic Movement MP Michel Aoun have blamed the ministerial bloc loyal to Suleiman for the deadlock on military promotions.

Earlier this week, Colonel Maroun al-Qobayati was appointed as commander of the army’s Commando Regiment to replace Brig. Gen. Chamel Roukoz, media reports said.

Aoun had been hoping that the promotion of Roukoz, his son-in-law, would keep him in the military and make him eligible to lead the institution.

Share:
This error message is only visible to WordPress admins

Error: No connected account.

Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to connect an account.