Russian officials say two suicide bombings in the violence-prone southern republic of Dagestan have killed at least 12 people and wounded 18 others.
The blasts happened Wednesday in the city of Kizlyar, near the border of Dagestan and Chechnya.
Dagestan’s interior minister says the first suicide bomber detonated explosives in a car when he was pulled over by traffic police. A second suicide bomber was dressed in a police uniform. The minister says at least nine police officers were among the dead.
This fresh wave of violence comes two days after twin suicide bombings killed 39 people on the Moscow metro.
Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin says a single terrorist group may be behind both the Moscow and Dagestan bomb attacks.
Authorities have said the bombings in central Moscow were carried out by two women with links to Islamist insurgents in Russia’s restive southern republic.
There has been no claim of responsibility for Monday’s attacks. But authorities say the bombings in central Moscow were carried out by two women with links to Islamist insurgents in Russia’s restive southern republics.
Russia on Tuesday observed a day of mourning for the victims of the Moscow attack.
Also Tuesday, President Dmitri Medvedev called for Russian courts and lawmakers to find new ways to strengthen anti-terror laws.
Russian media say police were searching Tuesday for two women and a man seen with the female bombing suspects on surveillance video shortly before the attacks occurred.
Last month, Chechen rebel leader Doku Umarov vowed to take the battle for Chechyna’s independence to Russia’s cities. VOA
Error: No connected account.
Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to connect an account.