Tunisian Prime Minister Habib Essid has dismissed the country’s security minister after an Islamic State-claimed suicide bombing killed 12 members of the presidential guard last week.
Secretary of State for Security Affairs Rafik Chelly lost his job Tuesday after the third bombing claimed by IS this year, following deadly attacks at the Bardo Museum in Tunis and in the resort of Sousse.
A government statement didn’t specify a reason for Chelly’s dismissal, merely noting that he is being “called to other duties.”
In recent weeks, Tunisia’s government has said that security forces dismantled several radical jihadi cells planning attacks against tourist sites and public figures.
It says that dozens of suspected extremists have been arrested and three weapons depots in the north, central and south were discovered.
Error: No connected account.
Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to connect an account.