Several Lebanese Citizens intend to file lawsuits against a Number of key March 8 security officials and politicians on Monday according to local reports
The lawsuits are expected to target former General Security chief Major General Jamil Sayyed, former Internal Security chief General Ali al-Hajj, and former MP Nasser Qandil.
An Nahar newspaper reported that that efforts had been made in the past to postpone these lawsuits, but given recent developments, it was decided that several of those who were harmed during the period prior to 2005 would be allowed to follow through with their legal action.
This development comes after the Syrian judiciary issued 33 arrest warrants last Sunday for judges, officers, politicians and journalists of Lebanese, Arab and other nationalities in the case brought by former Lebanese General Security chief Jamil as-Sayyed.
In December 2009, Sayyed filed a lawsuit in Damascus against various defendants whom he alleges were involved in a conspiracy of false testimonies against him.
Sayyed and 3 other generals were detained from 2005 to 2009 on suspicion of involvement in former PM Rafik Hariri’s murder. In April 2009, the Special Tribunal for Lebanon (STL ) ordered their release without charges due to insufficient evidence. STL prosecutor made it clear at the time they were set free that their release did not mean they are Innocent and that once more evidence is available they could be back in jail.
Tension escalated in Lebanon after reports said that the Special Tribunal for Lebanon (STL) will soon issue its indictment into the 2005 assassination of former Prime Minister Rafik Hariri. Last July, Hezbollah Secretary General Sayyed Hassan Nasrallah said that the tribunal is “an Israeli project” that will indict Hezbollah members. Nasrallah accused Israel of being behind Hariri’s assassination but refused to provide the evidence to STL to support his claim.
There are fears that, should the court indict Hezbollah members, it could lead to clashes similar to those of the 2008 May Events.