US F-22s intercept Russian jets over Syria, fire warning flares

US F-22Two US F-22 stealth fighters intercepted two Russian aircraft Wednesday after the Russian jets crossed the Euphrates River in Syria, flying east of the “de-confliction line” that is supposed to separate Russian and US-led coalition aircraft operating over Syria, two US defense officials told CNN.

The US jets fired warning flares during the intercept of the two Russian Su-25 close air support jets according to the officials after they crossed the de-confliction line multiple times.
One of the officials said a Russian Su-35 fighter jet was also involved and that the aerial encounter lasted “several minutes.”
The official said that coalition officers called their Russian counterparts about the incident via the pre-established de-confliction hotline.
US Air Forces Central Command which oversees air operations over Syria later confirmed the incident to CNN.
After crossing the de-confliction line, the Russian Su-25s “were promptly intercepted by two F-22A Raptors providing air cover for partner ground forces conducting operations to defeat ISIS,” Air Forces Central Command spokesman Lt. Col. Damien Pickart told CNN.
“The F-22s conducted multiple maneuvers to persuade the Su-25s to depart our de-conflicted airspace, including the release of chaff and flares in close proximity to the Russian aircraft and placing multiple calls on the emergency channel to convey to the Russian pilots that they needed to depart the area,” he added.
Pickart accused the Russian pilots of dangerous flying during the encounter.
“One Su-25 flew close enough to an F-22A that it had to aggressively maneuver to avoid a midair collision,” he said, adding that “during the incident, a Russian Su-35 also flew across the river and was shadowed closely by one of the F-22As.”
He said the encounter lasted approximately 40 minutes before the Russian aircraft flew to the west side of the river, saying officers from the US-led coalition contacted the Russians on the de-confliction line “to de-escalate the situation and avert a strategic miscalculation.”
President Donald Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin pledged to continue to uphold those de-confliction measures in their recent joint statement issued on the sidelines of the APEC conference in Da Nang, Vietnam.
The statement said Trump and Putin “agreed to maintain open military channels of communication between military professionals to help ensure the safety of both US and Russian forces and de-confliction of partnered forces engaged in the fight against ISIS.”
Pickart said the Russians had violated the agreement numerous times.
“In early November we verbally agreed through de-confliction channels that the Russians would remain west of the Euphrates River, and the coalition would operate to the east. Since agreeing to this de-confliction arrangement, the Russians have flown into our airspace on the east side of the river 6-8 times per day, or approximately 10% of the Russian and Syrian flights,” Pickart said.
“If either of us needs to cross the river for any reason, we’re supposed to first de-conflict via the line. It’s become increasingly tough for our pilots to discern whether Russian pilots’ actions are deliberate or if these are just honest mistakes,” he added, saying, “the coalition’s greatest concern is that we could shoot down a Russian aircraft because its actions are seen as a threat to our air or ground forces.”
“We are not here to fight the Russians and Syrians — our focus remains on defeating ISIS. That said, if anyone threatens coalition or friendly partner forces in the air or on the ground, we will defend them,” he added.
America’s top military officer, Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Gen. Joseph Dunford, spoke on the phone last week with his Russian counterpart, Gen. Valery Gerasimov, according to a spokesman for the Joint Staff.
Several US officials told CNN that de-confliction and operations in Syria were part of the discussions.
CNN
  • Niemals

    Abyad Hind choose this article about some lunatic people (Chen Ben-Eliyahu) living in La La Land, as if it wasn’t enough with suche incident over Syria.
    https://twitter.com/Ironwand/status/844217424295682048 Report such extreme Zionism!
    Should such extreme Zionism be criminalized?
    ….
    …..

    https://twitter.com/AbyadHind/status/941504789116047360 Israel National News refused to comment on the website’s decision to run the op-ed.

    Why this hag is not choosing the following;
    – KUWAITI CLERIC SAALIM AT-TAWEEL: JIHAD FOR THE
    SAKE OF ALLAH MEANS FIGHTING THE INFIDELS TO MAKE THEM CONVERT TO ISLAM; ENSLAVING INFIDELS IS ONE OF THE VIRTUES OF ISLAM
    November 07, 2017
    – CHILDREN ON PA TV: THE JEWS POISONED ARAFAT; “MILLIONS OF MARTYRS MARCH UPON JERUSALEM”
    November 17, 2017
    – PALESTINIAN EXPERT ON INTERNATIONAL LAW DR. ANIS QASIM: CALLS FOR JEWS TO RETURN TO ARAB COUNTRIES ARE NAIVE; THEY ARE BETTER OFF IN ISRAEL
    November 03, 2017
    – IN SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA, SHIITE SCHOLAR TALEB KHOZAEI SAYS WIFE MUST NOT LEAVE HOME WITHOUT HUSBAND’S PERMISSION, MUST ALWAYS BE AVAILABLE FOR SEX
    May 31, 2017 to June 08, 2017
    etc, etc…., etc, etc….

    • Hind Abyad

      What’s this junk? What’s has this to do with YaLibnan article?

      “Time of Israel “Op-ed calls on Israel to nuke Germany, Iran ’20-30 nuclear bombs will assure the job gets done,’ opinion piece on right-wing -Israel National News site.”

      “Israel National News refused to comment on the website’s decision to
      run the op-ed.”

      “When the Messiah comes, Ben-Eliyahu wrote, Israel will reverse the Final Solution. “Twenty, thirty atomic bombs on Berlin, Munich, Hamburg, Nuremberg, Cologne, Frankfurt, Stuttgart, Dresden, Dortmund and so on to assure the job gets done. And the land will be quiet for a thousand years,” he wrote.

      (a new Hitler?)

      “Israel National News refused to comment on the website’s decision to run the op-ed.” Put on your glasses.

    • Hind Abyad

      Hag your mama merkel.

  • Niemals

    The Russians did it, they managed to get a permanent foothold in the Middle East.
    The agreement will be in force for 49 years……
    https://uploads.disquscdn.com/images/573c77c837cefb2ffe37053612f788027109cc6fbb0bffdbc93fdcdbc6077f62.jpg Admiral Kuznetsov heavy aircraft-carrying missile cruiser in the Mediterranean Sea near Syria © Russian Defense Ministry / Sputnik
    Russian lawmakers approved an agreement to expand the Tartus naval refueling facility in Syria into a fully-fledged naval base capable of harboring nuclear-powered ships

    The agreement will be in force for 49 years, granting the Russian Navy access to territorial waters and various ports of the Syrian Arab Republic.
    The territory of the facility can be expanded up to 24 hectares, and the base will be able to accept up to 11 ships at once, including nuclear-powered vessels.