Lebanon’s Military Investigative Judge Fadi Sawwan ordered the death penalty for 29 people accused of kidnapping seven Estonian cyclists in Lebanon last year.
The ringleader of the gang that kidnapped the seven Estonian tourists, Wael Abbas, stayed in the custody of the Syrian authorities for 20 days before being handed over to Lebanon’s General Security Department last week, official sources said.
Lebanese security officials say Syria has handed over a suspect in the kidnapping of seven Estonian tourists. The tourists were abducted inside Lebanon’s eastern Bekaa Valley and held for nearly four months before being released in July.
There is always a hero behind behind the freeing of any hostages and in the case of the seven Estonian tourists it was a French general specialized in anti-terror operations that headed the team that won their release after 113 days of abduction Ad-Diyar newspaper reported on Sunday.
The seven Estonians kidnapped in Lebanon in March were held in three different locations in Lebanon and Syria, the former captives said on their return to Estonia, according to the Baltic News Service.
Lebanon Interior Minister Marwan Charbel revealed on Thursday that the Intelligence Bureau played a major role in the release of the Estonians, while the French Embassy coordinated the issue and followed up on it. “Security forces participated in the mission to find the Estonians from afar so as not to ‘mess up’ issues, and you […]
Seven Estonians who were abducted in Lebanon nearly four months ago have been released, according to the Estonian foreign ministry. The ministry said the freed hostages were taken to the French Embassy in Beirut on Thursday, and were in good health. A Lebanese security official said the seven had been released at dawn,
President Michel Suleiman met on Tuesday with Estonian Minister of Foreign Affairs Urmas Paet at the Baabda’s Presidential Palace, according to the National News Agency. The two discussed the latest developments concerning the case of the missing Estonians
Estonia’s foreign minister Urmas Paet told LBC TV : We have asked the Syrian government for help regarding the 7 kidnapped Estonian citizens The FM added: We have not yet received any demands from the abductors. He denied the rumors that the abductors demanded a ransom of 1 million US dollars.
Nearly seven weeks after the kidnapping of seven Estonian cyclists in Lebanon, the case remains shrouded in mystery with little information gleaned on their whereabouts or those behind the abduction.